It is so incredibly sad to hear that anyone has lost a child...I am referring to John and Kelly Travolta. Though it may be tempting to get caught up in the autism-related craziness online regarding Jett Travolta I encourage you not to engage in it. The news channels are touting uneducated opinions as fact, but the facts are not out there and it is not the public's business to know. (Yes, I know they are public figures, but they are also real people, really mourning..)
If you are a parent of a child with Autism, please be responsible when family/friends bring up this hot topic. Remember:
1. Autism is not necessarily something that is treated with medication. (It is typically things like ADD, AD/HD, and separate issues relating to the whole picture of Autism.)
2. Autism and Epilepsy are not the same thing, nor are they even 'hand in hand'. They are two different conditions that can coincide in some people. (Think brain tumor and frequent migraines on this one...just because your head hurts does not mean you have a tumor.)
3. The people pushing this agenda are mainly those who believe you can cure Autism. The reports are saying 'if they had accepted this, he would not be dead now'...seriously?
4. Focus your politics and advocacy where it counts... towards lobbying for healthcare benefits for our children. Towards making sure that they are progressing--not in Hollywood, but on Capitol Hill. Towards equal opportunity in schools... towards teaching your community about children on the spectrum.
5. Credibilty is a valuable thing...